Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Letter dated September 2, 1969

 Dear Doris, Jim and family, I received your pretty card and letter, glad to hear from you.

I suppose school is in full swing by now. Hope they all like school. We had rain last night, temperature in the low 70s. I went to town this a.m.

Francis and Ruth and her folks went to see Pop yesterday. They said he was feeling a lot better and ate a good supper. I think  he can come home before long now. I was there Sat & Sun, going again tomorrow. They said he can walk about the room. Libby cut his hair and Ted shaved him, he looked so much better.  
 Pickrul Manor is like a hospital. The doctor told him it was another hospital. He liked it there he says  if he comes home he will have to work.
It will be hard to keep him from cutting,and weeding grass from his garden. I’ll tell him we will have it plowed next spring, he has been spading it a little at a time each fall.

This is a gloomy day, looks like it could rain more.  Jane and Ted came Sunday and took me over to see Pop.  I got supper for them after we got back. I had things fixed so it didn’t take long.
I gave Lois Jane that antique glass bread plate. I want you to have 4 point star quilt.
Will put your name on it.

I heard that Mrs. Maltby died - she must be pretty well up in years - ( I should say must have been).

Mrs. Matthieson is in Pickrul Manor, she had a stroke and can only say a few words, she has been in a wheel chair 10 or 12 years is still heavy. I went to see her Sunday. She said she knew me but her words were garbled . I have no idea how old she is.

The afternoons just wear on when I am alone. This is the second letter I’ve written this P.M.
 I saw John Kingery in the PO this a.m. He has his leg and foot in a cast he was injured in Viet Nam , his leg will be shorter than the other.

Maynard’s had their 50th wedding anniversary Sunday. Our church hired a new minister Sunday, he is 47. They have an 11 year old daughter. They say his wife is good to work with young people.

Marie is still working at the nursing home here in Billings. She is painting pictures between times. Elmer Combrink in Enid General Hospital, suffering from bleeding stomach ulcer. Is better but they may have to operate. Well I must sign off hope to hear from you soon. Tell Mrs. Anderson hello for us.
 Love,
Mom.
Excuse bad writing

Transcriptionist notes:
John C. Kingery https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/188087721/john-clinton-kingery
Elmer Combrink https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/39336274/elmer-combrink/photo
The Maynard’s referenced were most likely Maude Stroud Maynard & Loye Maynard.

No comments:

Post a Comment